Mission, History & Values
Jewish Collaborative Services of RI (JCS) is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit housing and social service agency serving Rhode Island and Southeastern Massachusetts. We help individuals and families facing physical, emotional, housing, nutrition and other challenges get the services they need to recover and thrive.
The mission of JCS is to sustain, nurture and strengthen the well-being of seniors, adults, children, and families and to ensure access to a full continuum of care through the life cycle, within the framework of Jewish tradition and values.
About Our Work
JCS is a comprehensive, solutions-oriented resource for those in distress or just in need of a little help. A full-spectrum service organization, we offer aging and wellness programs, assisted living, support for caregivers, affordable housing for seniors and the mobility impaired, counseling services for children and adults, food and nutrition programs, adoption services and more.
We provide peace of mind by ensuring that everyone who comes to us can gain access to the resources they need. Although our work is guided by Jewish values, we serve those of all backgrounds and religious affiliations.
Jewish Collaborative Services was established in 2018 through the union of two of Rhode Island’s premier agencies, Jewish Family Service of RI (JFSRI) and Jewish Seniors Agency of RI (JSARI). Both agencies were grounded in the values of compassion, humanity and inclusiveness, serving all in need.
Pictured: Original Jewish Home, opened June 14, 1914.
Serving the Community Since 1887
JFSRI was established in 1929 to provide financial assistance for Jewish families. Its role evolved over the years to meet the needs of the community by providing high-quality social services such as senior care, counseling, adoption services, nutrition programs and emergency assistance to people of all religions. It has been a bastion in the community since its inception.
JSARI was established in 1887 to ensure access to a full continuum of care for Jewish and other seniors in the greater Rhode Island community. Over time its housing and outreach efforts expanded to include enriched assisted living, respite care, and affordable housing with nutrition and activity programs. All are widely known for their exceptional service.
A New Chapter
By combining these two forces, Jewish Collaborative Services has become an integrated housing and social services agency providing a full spectrum of services. Our caring, highly qualified staff members are well positioned to help meet the needs of those facing social and other challenges.
In August 2018, JCS opened its new offices in Providence, housing The Counseling Center, Lifeline RI, Jewish Eldercare of RI (JERI), Partners in Care, the Full Plate Kosher Food Pantry, Adoption Options, Case Management and other services. The agency’s West Bay campus in Warwick is home to its landmark Tamarisk Assisted Living Residence and Shalom and Shalom II affordable apartments, as well as the Shalom Mealsite and the TA’AM to Go kosher catering service.
A Deep Commitment to Clients
We pride ourselves on working closely with clients and their families to ensure their needs are met. This deep commitment distinguishes our work in a number of ways:
- Timely response to queries.
- Prompt scheduling and follow up with assessment of needs.
- Caring and attentive service.
- Highly qualified staff with professional credentials and degrees.
- Recognized experts who serve as teachers and mentors.
- We adhere to the highest standards of ethics and confidentiality.
- Privacy and respect govern all of our actions.
- We solicit continuous feedback from clients and loved ones.
- Responses show consistently superior marks across programs.
- Staff feels like family, leading to low turnover and high-quality service.
- Long-term, trusting relationships between clients and staff.
- We serve clients regardless of race, color, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, disability, economic status or national origin.
Our Core Values
JCS is governed by Jewish values, which reflect care and respect for others and dedication to family and community. These values underlie the principles that guide all of our work:
Tikkun Olam (Repairing the World)
- Relieve human suffering and seek peace and mutual respect among people.
- Strive for social justice through community action.
- Advocate on behalf of clients and community.
Sherutei Rachamim (Compassionate Service)
- Deliver high-quality services with compassion to all those in need.
- Serve the needs of the Jewish community and the community at large of Rhode Island and Southeastern Massachusetts with kindness and a spirit of inclusiveness.
B’Tzelem Elokim (Honoring the Individual)
- Treat each individual with dignity and respect.
Kivud av v’em (Honor thy Father and Mother)
- Promote and preserve the dignity of all seniors.
Hitkadmut (Cultivation for the Future)
- Strive for excellence in everything we do.
- Ensure that our staff receives high-quality training and the necessary tools for success.
- Continue to improve our services.
- Create innovative programs that reflect the changing needs of the children, families, seniors, and communities we serve.
- Seek and value collaborative efforts with other agencies in the community.